Servings: Makes 4 servings
Amount Per Serving: 1 ¼ cup each
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 clove garlic
- 1 red onion
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 eggplant
- 2 zucchini
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1 green pepper
- 1 yellow summer squash
- 1 cup quinoa
This roasted vegetable and quinoa mix is a great meal for those looking for a healthy recipe that doesn't require meat.
Pre-cook Quinoa. Quinoa contains an outer coating of saponin that is very bitter, so you must rinse it several times before using it. Use a fine colander and rinse under cold water. It is also helpful to buy pre-rinsed quinoa for convenience.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Mince garlic, cube eggplant, and chop parsley.
- Thinly slice red onion, green pepper, summer squash, and zucchini.
- Add garlic and onion.
- Saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato pasted, basil, oregano, thyme, and parsley. Continue to cook for 1 to 2 minutes. remove from heat.
- Layer half of the tomato and onion mixture in the bottom of a 9"x 13" baking dish.
- Top with all of the uncooked vegetables.
- Add remaining tomato and onion mixture.
- Spread the cooked quinoa on top and
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Remove foil for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
Nutrition information per serving: 234 calories; 8 g fat; 13.4 mg cholesterol; 380 mg sodium; 31.4 g carbohydrates; 8.3 g fiber; 11 g protein
Recipe modified from John Wiley & Sons, Easy Gluten-Free: Expert Nutrition Advice with More than 100 Recipes by Tricia Thompson, MS, RD, CDE, CDN and American Dietetic Association. ©2010, John Wiley & Sons