Total Time: 100 minutes
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 5 pound chicken
- 1 can beer
- 1 package Beer Can Chicken Seasoning
- 1 package Roasted Garlic and Herb Seasoning
Looking to try something new next time you enjoy chicken? You'll love Fareway's Beer Can Chicken recipe!
You can substitute cola for beer.
- Remove and discard the neck, giblets, and any excess fat from the chicken.
- Rinse chicken with cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Lightly brush chicken with oil and season, inside and out, with 1/4 cup of seasoning. (Either Beer Can or Roasted Garlic and Herb, to taste.)
- Open beer can and pour out half.
- Add 1 Tbsp of seasoning to the can. (It may foam)
- Set the beer can on a flat surface and slide the chicken over the top so the can fits inside the cavity.
- To reduce grill flare-ups, place the chicken in a disposable foil pan or position the pan directly underneath the chicken.
- Carefully balance the bird on its two legs over the can, to form a solid base.
- Grill over indirect medium heat for 1.5 to 2 hours. (Set grill to 350 - 450 degrees Fahrenheit until the juices run clear and the internal temp reaches 180 degrees Fahrenheit.)
- Wearing heavy mitts, carefully remove the chicken and can from the grill, being careful to not spill the beer - it will be HOT.
- Let the chicken rest for approx 10 minutes before lifting it away from the can and discarding the beer.
- Cut chicken into pieces and serve.
Based on 6 servings, using light beer: 339 calories; 28 g total fat; 7 g saturated fat; 4.5 g polyunsaturated fat; 16 g monounsaturated fat; 65 mg cholesterol; 66 mg sodium; 0 g carbohydrate; 0 g fiber; 19 g protein