Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium, chopped onion
- 2 clove garlic
- 1 one jalapeno chiles
- 2 can black beans
- 1 can canned diced tomatoes
- 1 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp cilantro
- 1 dollop yogurt
- 0 wedges lime
Black beans are rich in iron and zinc, which makes this soup great for the family!
- In 4-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion, finely chopped garlic and 1-2 seeded/finely chopped chiles; cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender.
- Stir in drained/rinsed beans, tomatoes, broth and cumin.
- Heat to boiling over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Using a potato masher, mash beans until soup reaches desired consistency.
- Stir in chopped cilantro.
- Top individual servings with yogurt; serve with lime wedges.
1 Serving: Calories 240 (Calories from Fat 30); Total Fat 3g (Saturated Fat 0g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 470mg; Total Carbohydrate 41g (Dietary Fiber 14g, Sugars 6g); Protein 12g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%; Vitamin C 20%; Calcium 10%; Iron 25% Exchanges: 2 Starch; 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 1 Vegetable; 1/2 Very Lean Meat; 1/2 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 3
88% less sat fat . 81% less fat . 34% fewer calories than the original recipe! From eatbetteramerica.