Amount Per Serving: 1 slice
Total Time: 2 hours
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 dash water
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup butternut squash
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs
Butternut squash puree: cut squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Place squash, cut side down, in shallow pan. Bake at 350°F until squash is soft, 45-60 minutes. Let cool and scoop out cooked flesh. Puree until smooth in blender or food processor.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9"x 5" loaf pan.
- Puree butternut squash.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, and ginger.
- Beat eggs.
- In a separate bowl, combine squash puree, sugar, oil, eggs, and water until well blended.
- Add the flour mixture and stir until lightly blended.
- Stir in chopped walnuts or pecans, if desired.
- Pour batter into greased loaf pan and bake 50 to 60 minutes, until toothpick tested in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool on wire rack for ten minutes.
276 calories; 16 g fat; 2 g saturated; 31 mg cholesterol; 47 mg sodium; 32 g carbohydrate; 2 g fiber; 4 g protein
Recipe courtesy of What's Cooking America