Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 eggplant
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 Large eggs
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 1 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
- 1/2 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 Tbsp fresh thyme
- 1/2 pound provolone cheese
- 1 dash pepper
- 1/2 pound mozzarella cheese
- 2 handfuls basil
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
In this dish, breaded eggplant slices are layered with tomato sauce, mozzarella, provolone cheese, and basil.
- Wash and cut eggplant into 1/2 inch thick rounds.
- Cut mozzarella cheese into thin slices.
- Arrange eggplant rounds in a single layer on 2 baking sheets.
- Sprinkle with salt and allow to sit for about 1 hour. Salting it draws out the liquid and bitter flavor.
- Rinse with cold water and dry thoroughly.
- Put flour in a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk; season with salt and pepper.
- In a third bowl, combine the breadcrumbs with oreano, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Dip each eggplant slice in the flour and shake off any excess.
- Dip into egg mixture and then into breadcrumbs.
- Make sure to coat both sides of each eggplant slice.
- Arrange them in a single layer on baking sheets.
- In a large skillet, pour enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Heat until the oil is hot and use a pair of tongs to add a single layer of eggplant.
- Cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
- Remove from oil and transfer to a paper towel lined dish.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- To assemble: in a 9x13" baking dish, spoon sauce. Top with a layer of egg plant (they can slightly overlap).
- Top with 1/3 of mozzarella and sprinkle with ¼ of the Parmesan and provolone. Top with a layer of torn basil leaves.
- Repeat, starting with sauce, 1 more time.
- Place dish in the top part of the oven and cook until the cheese is melted and bubbly, 35 to 40 minutes.
- For extra browning, put the dish under the broiler for a minute or two just before serving.
290 calories; 14 g fat; 8 g saturated fat; 100 mg cholesterol; 725 mg sodium 19 g carbohydrate; 2 g fiber; 20 g protein