Amount Per Serving: 1 pinwheel
Total Time: 1 hour
When purchasing your flank steak, ask our experts at Fareway to butterfly it for you. Following this recipe will turn your steak into adorable pinwheels that are sure to impress your guests!
To butterfly flank steak: Ask a Fareway Meat Expert to butterfly the steak along the grain OR start with the meat grain running up and down in front of you. Begin cutting the meat in half until you reach about 1 inch from completely cutting through. Using a meat mallet, pound the steak seam to match the thickness of the rest of the steak. In another flank steak pinwheel recipe, this part is at the top of the recipe under “preparation notes”
Open steak so it lies flat and layer remaining ingredients on top.
Tightly roll steak with the grain, jelly-roll style, and secure with toothpicks or cooking string.
Grill, covered, over indirect heat for approximately 35 to 45 minutes, turning occasionally, or until internal temp reaches 160°F for a well-done steak.
Cut steaks across the grain of the meat between strings and discard strings before serving.
- Butterfly red pepper, slice yellow pepper and slice Parmesan cheese.
- Trim ends of asparagus and mince garlic.
- To butterfly steak, place steak flat on work surface with grain running top to the bottom.
- Cut steak horizontally on a long side to within 1/2 inch of the opposite side.
- Open steak like a book so it lies flat.
- Top with peppers, cheese, garlic, asparagus, salt and pepper.
- Tightly roll steak with the grain, jelly-roll style.
- Tie cooking string around the steak every two inches.
- Grill, covered, over indirect heat for approximately 35 to 45 minutes, turning occasionally, or until internal temp reaches 160°F for a well-done steak.
- Cut steaks across the grain of the meat between strings and discard strings before serving.
193 calories; 11.2 g fat; 5 g saturated fat; 46 mg cholesterol; 292 mg sodium; 3.5 g carbohydrate; 1.3 g fiber; 18.8 g protein