Total Time: 2 hours
- 1 beef Eye of Round Roast
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 pound kale
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
Kale is a super food, full of vitamins and minerals, and pairs wonderfully with this Smoky Round Roast!
Remove tough, woody stalks/ribs from the kale and cut into one inch pieces.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Combine 1 tablespoon oil, paprika, sugar and chili powder in a small bowl.
- Press mixture evenly onto beef roast.
- Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan.
- Insert ovenproof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef. Do not add water or cover.
- Roast in 325°F oven 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours for medium rare doneness.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium heat until hot.
- Add garlic and red pepper; cook 30 to 45 seconds or until garlic is fragrant, stirring frequently.
- Add kale in batches, if necessary; cook and stir about 2 minutes or until leaves are wilted.
- Add water; cover and cook 3 to 5 minutes or until stems are tender.
- Season with salt.
- Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135°F.
- Transfer to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil.
- Let stand 15 to 20 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to reach 145°F for medium rare.)
- Carve roast into thin slices; season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve with kale.
1/8 of recipe: 299 calories; 11 g fat (2 g saturated fat; 6 g monounsaturated fat); 65 mg cholesterol; 204 mg sodium; 22 g carbohydrate; 4.6 g fiber; 32 g protein; 10.8 mg niacin; 0.9 mg vitamin B6; 1.4 mcg vitamin B12; 5.8 mg iron; 30.4 mcg selenium; 5.2 mg zinc; 96.9 mg choline.