Total Time: 2.5 hours
- 3 pound boneless pork shoulder
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 white onion
- 12 oz red potatoes
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1 sprig cilantro
- 1 can enchilada sauce
- 1 can hominy, drained
This Fareway fall favorite puts a southwest spin on a traditional midwest meal. You might miss the sweet aroma of beef and bay leaves, but only until you taste these southwest spices!
To kick up the heat in this pot roast, use hot enchilada sauce, add some cayenne powder or chili sauce along with the enchilada sauce, or add sliced chiles along with the onions and potatoes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In an oven-ready skillet, braising pan, or Dutch oven large enough to comfortably hold the pork with the lid on, warm the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the pork and cook until well-browned on all sides, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Transfer the meat to a plate or platter and set aside.
- Add the enchilada sauce to the skillet and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits (careful-it may splatter).
- Return the pork to the skillet, along with any accumulated juices, and return to a boil.
- Cover the skillet, place it in the oven, and cook for 1 hour.
- Turn the meat over and add the onion and potatoes to the skillet, submerging them in the liquid.
- Cover and cook until the vegetables start to soften, about 30 minutes.
- Add the hominy, cover, and cook until the pork is tender but not falling apart, the onion and potatoes are tender, and the hominy is heated through, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the oven, set aside, letting the meat rest in the liquid for 15 minutes.
- Remove the meat from the skillet, remove the kitchen twine, if necessary, and slice the meat across the grain.
- Arrange on plates or a platter with the vegetables alongside.
- Drizzle with a little sauce.
- Sprinkle with the shredded cheese and garnish with the cilantro, if using.
- Serve the remaining sauce at the table.
Calories: 380 calories Protein: 37 grams Fat: 15 grams Sodium: 840 milligrams Cholesterol: 115 milligrams Saturated Fat: 5 grams Carbohydrates: 21 grams Fiber: 3 grams