Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 4 clove garlic
- 1 pound sweet potato
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can Bush's kidney beans
Peel and cube sweet potatoes, seed and cube bell pepper. Chop onion and mince garlic. Cook and cube chicken breast. Drain and rinse beans.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Stir in onion and garlic.
- Cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in sweet potato, bell pepper, chicken, tomatoes, and 2 cups of water.
- Season with salt, chili powder, cumin, oregano, cocoa powder, cinnamon, and red pepper flakes.
- Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- Dissolve flour in 2 tablespoons water and stir in to boiling stew.
- Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender but not mushy, 10 to 20 minutes.
- Stir the stew occasionally to keep it from sticking.
- Once the potatoes are done, Stir in corn and kidney beans.
- Cook a few minutes until hot, then stir in cilantro before serving.
361 calories; 8 g total fat; 2 g saturated fat; 876 mg sodium; 44 g carbohydrate; 11 g fiber; 29 g protein