Total Time: 2 hours
- 8 ripe plum tomatoes (about 1 pound), cut in half
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 14 oz whole tomatoes, with their juice
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken stock
This tomato basil soup is great year-round, but we think it tastes extra great on a rainy day. Paired with grilled cheese, this delicious soup is the perfect dinner.
- Preheat oven to 40°0 F.
- Toss together the tomatoes, 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Spread the tomatoes in one layer on a baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes.
- In a stockpot over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, butter, and red pepper flakes for 10 minutes, or until the onions start to brown.
- Add canned tomatoes, basil, thyme, and chicken stock.
- Add the oven-roasted tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes.
- Let cool slightly, and blend in a food processor.
182 calories; 11 g fat; 3 g saturated fat; 8 mg cholesterol; 246 mg sodium; 20 g carbohydrate; 4 g fiber; 4 g protein