With holidays coming up, it can be difficult to stick to a healthy diet or to not indulge in all the tasty treats found at the table. With so many choices, it can be hard to find food that is gluten-free and still tasty. Keep reading to see some tips on eating gluten-free during the holiday season and some tasty recipes for side dishes, the main course, and desserts!
What is gluten, and what does it mean to be gluten-free?
Gluten is protein found in certain grains, such as barley, wheat, and rye. Gluten is found in a lot of popular foods including:
Many people eat gluten-free due to having celiac disease or having a gluten sensitivity. Others simply choose to eat gluten-free to achieve a more health-conscious lifestyle. Being gluten-free, people will avoid these foods and replace them with “gluten-free” alternatives or simply avoid these foods all together.
Eating Gluten-Free on the Holidays
Eating gluten-free during the holiday season can be difficult with all of the different dishes available. Here are some tips for eating gluten-free during this time of the year:
- Eat beforehand and have a gluten-free snack on hand in your purse in case you catch yourself getting hungry!
- Separate. At larger family gatherings, have gluten-free options labeled or in different containers for easy find. Have separate utensils as well.
- Avoid cross-contamination.
- Substitute. When cooking it up in the kitchen, use gluten-free flours and other substitute ingredients to ensure that you and your guests have a happy meal experience.
- Bring a dish to share that you know is gluten-free to ensure that there is something that you will be able to eat.
- If you know you have guests coming that eat gluten-free, consider reaching out and asking if they have any special requests or recommendations for some dishes.
Gluten-Free Recipes Perfect for the Holidays
This recipe is packed with veggies and spices, making it the perfect gluten-free addition that everyone can enjoy!
This yummy squash recipe is easy and is another perfect blend of veggies and spices.
This simple recipe is only three ingredients and is the perfect addition to top off a side salad.
This is another great addition to your side salads or can be added to other side dishes for some extra tanginess.
This pork tenderloin is the perfect blend of salty and sweet with its addition of pomegranate juice, merlot, honey, and more.
This stew is a great soup that can be a main dish or side that is not only filling but has all the flavors as well.
This ‘fishy’ main dish is filled with zest with its additions of lemon pepper, lemon juice, and more!
Looking for something a little meatier? This pot roast pie is a great blend of meat, mashed potatoes, and veggies.
Made with only three ingredients and in 30 minutes, these nut clusters are a chocolatey and nutty dessert.
These have that perfect crunch and sweetness that everyone is looking for when reaching for a quick snack or dessert.
This recipe has only five ingredients and takes 10 minutes! These sticky bananas are great to top off frozen yogurts, gluten-free pancakes, and more.