Candy and Halloween go together like Ghosts & Goblins! If you want to let your little monsters enjoy the candy of the season without over-doing it, Fareway is here to help!
Besides costumes and going door-to-door, what's the next best part about Halloween? CANDY! But if you are trying to meet your health and wellness goals or your child has food allergies, candy from the neighbors may not be on your list of favorite foods.
Let's start with you, Mom and Dad. How can you take part in your child's spooktacular Halloween without ruining your healthy lifestyle? For something like trick-or-treat candy which provides little-to-no added nutrition, it's best to keep your serving size small - about 100 calories.
These candy treats all have around 100 calories:
- 3 snack size Twizzlers or Starburst fruit chews
- 8 Dots
- 13 Brach's Candy Corn
- 28 M&Ms
- 60 Smarties
- 1 snack size York Peppermint Patties
- 2 Twix minis
- 3 Milky Way Midnight Minis
- 1 Snickers Fun Size
- 4 Mini 3 Musketeers
- 5 mini Tootsie Rolls
How about your kids? Do you have a child will food allergies or intolerances? The Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network (FAAN http://www.foodallergy.org/) has developed tips to keep your children safe this Halloween.
- Have something available to trade for the candy your child can't eat
- Pass out non-food items and encourage neighbors and friends to do the same
- Create a candy swap with other children so your child can trade allergy-inducing items
- Teach children to politely refuse homemade goodies
- Make sure your child carries his/her medication during trick-or-treating
- Dum Dum Lollipops are one of our favorite allergen-friendly candy options
Remember, the eight most common allergens are milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, soy, wheat, fish and shellfish. Even if your child does not have a food allergy, be respectful of other trick-or-treaters by making sure your candies don't contain any of these ingredients.
If you are looking to avoid candy, here are some of our favorite healthy Halloween treat alternatives:
- Granola bars
- Tail mix
- Gummy treats with real fruit juice
- Single-Serve packages at popcorn
- Fresh fruit
- Sugar Free Hot Chocolate packets