Are you ready to be thankful for Thanksgiving dinner? After reading Fareway's Thanksgiving Meal Solutions, your whole family will thank you!
A Typical Thanksgiving Dinner
- Turkey leg
- Cranberry sauce
- Mashed potatoes with gravy
- Cream corn
- White dinner roll with butter
- Pecan pie
= 1713 calories; 76 g fat; 7 g fiber
A Healthier Alternative
- Turkey breast, no skin
- Baked potato with butter
- Fresh strawberries
- Wheat roll
- Ice tea
- Jello with cool whip
= 634 calories; 16 g fat; 8 g fiber cut calories by almost 2/3
These swaps cut calories by almost 2/3 and reduce fat by ¾!
Is turkey a healthy staple at our family gatherings?
- Yes! Turkey is rich in protein and low in fat - if you choose correctly.
- White meat is lower in fat and calories than dark meat. White meat, without skin, generally contains:
- 161 calories
- 4 g fat
- 30 g protein
- Dark meat, with skin, generally contains:
- 232 calories
- 13 g fat
- 27 g protein
What is a serving of turkey?
- One serving = 3 ounces
- Size of deck of cards or the palm of your hand
You can combine these meal solutions and tips to indulge in some of your favorites while still maintaining a healthy lifestyle through the holidays. Wishing you and your family a happy and healthy Thanksgiving!